Forum > Christian Legacies Main Forum

Jews and the Messiah

(1/2) > >>

Phidippides:
I am curious: do Jews still actively await the Messiah?  If so, what are their criteria for acknowledging him?  It seems that the Gospel writers certainly left clues that would reveal Christ as the Messiah that the Jews were expecting, but evidently this was not sufficient for their belief.  Therefore, I am wondering what would be sufficient evidence of his arrival.

Donald Baker:
Short answer is yes they who are beliervers are still awaiting their messiah.   Long answer is a large percentage of Jews are secular now and are no longer awaiting a messiah. I would have to research the latest demographics.

Phidippides:
Ok I realize that I opened up a can of worms here.  I recall arguing with a bunch of Antisemites on Gab earlier this year and I realized that there does not seem to be a clear understanding of what a Jew is.  Is it a person who practices Judaism?  Or a person of Jewish race/ethnicity?  Or both?  People don't seem to agree (and from what I understand, even Jews do not have a single answer to this question).

So for my question, I suppose I am referring to those who practice Judaism as a religion.

Donald Baker:
Probably those practicing Judaism.

skiguy:
I think there are as many sects of Judaism as there are Christianity with differing beliefs.  Some don't believe in a Messiah.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version