Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

April 27, 2024, 12:52:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Donald Baker

2024 Apr 26 11:53:47
Boy this site sure is dead.  Did the Rapture happen already? ;D

Phidippides

2024 Mar 31 01:32:32
Happy Easter! 🐰🐣✝️⛪

Phidippides

2024 Mar 29 16:59:45
Today is Good Friday. ✝️

Phidippides

2023 Dec 24 19:54:03
Merry Christmas, everyone. 🎄❄️🎅

Donald Baker

2022 Jul 16 15:33:06
Atheists...if any are lurking, join and defend your position on why God doesn't exist.  Agnostics you too...isn't it time to get off the fence and take a side? ;D

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 3
  • Latest: skiguy
Stats
  • Total Posts: 385
  • Total Topics: 89
  • Online today: 17
  • Online ever: 52
  • (February 04, 2024, 12:04:33 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 15
Total: 15

Theme Select

15 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Was Jesus a Pharisee?  (Read 7296 times)

Offline Phidippides

• Administrator
  • Like/Dislike: +12/-0
Was Jesus a Pharisee?
« on: April 07, 2020, 04:06:52 PM »
I didn't realize that there was a question of whether Christ was a Pharisee.  Reasons for this would be that they were centered in Christ's native Galilee, and He is also referred to as "Rabbi", which was a word which Pharisees called those within their ranks who were experts of the law.

Reasons against this come from Christ's departure from the Pharisee understanding of oral law, such as Mark 7:1-8 (in regard to purification laws adopted as oral law in the tradition of the Pharisees).

Offline Donald Baker

• Administrator
  • Like/Dislike: +4/-0
Re: Was Jesus a Pharisee?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 08:07:53 PM »
Jesus had a very negative view of the Sanhedrin including the Pharisees.  He disdained their outward religious vanity and their abhorrent hypocrisies.  The Apostle Paul was a Pharisee before he converted however.

Offline Phidippides

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 11:42:53 AM »
Next question that is an actual scholarly issue: was Jesus an Essene?  See if you can answer that one.

Offline Donald Baker

• Administrator
  • Like/Dislike: +4/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 08:43:33 PM »
Next question that is an actual scholarly issue: was Jesus an Essene?  See if you can answer that one.

I have read the arguments that said Jesus was a part of the Essene group in Qumran.  That he subscribed to Gnosticism etc....I also know that Paul spoke openly against the Gnostic tendencies of the Corinthian church so I think Paul's teachings would have been somewhat contrary to the Essenes and most likely more in line with Christ's.  However, there is just enough circumstantial evidence for some scholars to make (what would be outlandish to me) claims.  I'm also familiar with the proposition that Jesus spent some time in Nepal where he allegedly studied Buddhism and was referred to as "Issa."  Seems to be an agenda to move Jesus out of his little region of Galilee to explain some of the teachings he espoused...as if He were not an original thinker.  So what do you think?  Was Jesus exposed to the Essene way of life?

Offline Phidippides

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 10:50:13 PM »
I've been watching a scholarly lecture series on Judaism in the time of Jesus, and this was a question that was presented.  Basically, the evidence strongly suggests that no, He was not an Essene.  The Essenes believed in multiple messiahs, rather than one; and the Essenes apparently believed all members had to follow priestly purity laws, so that would also seem to exclude Christ from consideration as an Essene.