Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

March 28, 2024, 09:51:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Phidippides

2023 Dec 24 19:54:03
Merry Christmas, everyone. 🎄❄️🎅

Donald Baker

2022 Jul 16 15:33:06
Atheists...if any are lurking, join and defend your position on why God doesn't exist.  Agnostics you too...isn't it time to get off the fence and take a side? ;D

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 3
  • Latest: skiguy
Stats
  • Total Posts: 385
  • Total Topics: 89
  • Online today: 10
  • Online ever: 52
  • (February 04, 2024, 12:04:33 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 3
Total: 3

Theme Select

3 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Is there a point of making too much money?  (Read 8251 times)

Offline Phidippides

• Administrator
  • Like/Dislike: +12/-0
Is there a point of making too much money?
« on: December 18, 2018, 09:25:55 PM »
There's an article that was published today about Jeff Bezos:

Jeff Bezos makes more per minute than you do in a year

They figured that when you combine Bezos' salary and benefits, along with his monstrous gains made through Amazon stock gains in 2018, his earnings-per-minute ranged from a low of about $68,000 per minute to a high of $160,000 per minute.  Today, his net worth is around $132,000,000,000.

Do you think there is a limit to how much money a person should be allowed to make?  I ask this in two senses: first, should there be a legal cap on how much a person can make?  And second, even if you think nothing legally should prevent him, do you think that morally there should be a limit?

Offline Donald Baker

• Administrator
  • Like/Dislike: +4/-0
Re: Is there a point of making too much money?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 10:32:56 PM »
Not sure how I feel about this.  The capitalist in me says he should be able to make as much as he wants.  However, he might make so much he could influence world leaders by buying them off without batting an eyelash.  That might be too much power for one person to have.  Tough call.

Offline Phidippides

• Administrator
  • Like/Dislike: +12/-0
Re: Is there a point of making too much money?
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 10:59:09 PM »
It raises a more general problem with capitalism, or maybe with "late-stage capitalism".  Even setting aside Bezos, what happens when wealth gets concentrated into the hands of a few and wealth disparities grow, as we see in America today?  It seems easy for the wealthy few to essentially rule in a kind of oligopoly at the expense of the masses.

I read an article yesterday about the wealthiest zip codes in the United States, and the top 50 or 100 I think were exclusively in two states: New York and California.  If you've ever wondered how liberals have such great influence over American politics, just follow the money.