Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

March 28, 2024, 03:19:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Phidippides

2023 Dec 24 19:54:03
Merry Christmas, everyone. 🎄❄️🎅

Donald Baker

2022 Jul 16 15:33:06
Atheists...if any are lurking, join and defend your position on why God doesn't exist.  Agnostics you too...isn't it time to get off the fence and take a side? ;D

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 3
  • Latest: skiguy
Stats
  • Total Posts: 385
  • Total Topics: 89
  • Online today: 10
  • Online ever: 52
  • (February 04, 2024, 12:04:33 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 12
Total: 12

Theme Select

12 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: MBA Programs  (Read 6850 times)

Offline Donald Baker

• Administrator
  • Like/Dislike: +4/-0
MBA Programs
« on: July 31, 2018, 07:13:33 PM »
I'm currently enrolled in a professional weekend MBA program at the University of Louisville.  Our normal student capacity is around 50, but my class only has 22 enrolled.  So, of course, we are under enrolled and this is why we will be the last weekend class ever at UofL.  Are MBA degrees becoming obsolete?  I think I read somewhere where some universities are even considering eliminating their Business Schools altogether. 

Offline Phidippides

• Administrator
  • Like/Dislike: +12/-0
Re: MBA Programs
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 09:35:59 PM »
Lol - when I was starting my MBA program some 20 years ago, I recall the question was posed as to whether there were too many MBAs out there.  So I think that MBA programs are insecure by their nature.  In my opinion, business classes are the closest discipline to systematized common sense.  The concepts are not necessarily difficult to grasp because they are often innate to the human mind (which is why so many successful entrepreneurs have emerged without completing an education, much less an MBA).  This is not to say that they are unimportant concepts.   

I don't know whether MBA degrees are becoming obsolete, but they are likely more limited in value than other degrees in relation to their fields. 

With that said, I would much rather be in a class of 22 than a class of 50.

Offline Donald Baker

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 09:44:53 PM »
Well it's tough trying to learn things like Statistics in five classes.  You really don't master anything with such short turnaround between classes, but at least I retain bits here and there lol.  I figure I'm just buying credentials more or less.  But yes I'm glad our class is small.  We have a more intimate setting this way, and it is cohort based so we are broken up into five teams.

Offline Phidippides

• Administrator
  • Like/Dislike: +12/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 10:06:12 PM »
Ok - you do have a point which is the exception to what I said.  Certain classes aren't as common sense as others and really do need to be learned, such as statistics or financial accounting.  If you are on one of those tracks, then I think the MBA can be an asset.

Offline Donald Baker

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 10:10:52 PM »
If I was better at math I would concentrate on Business Analytics.  This seems like the trending field at the moment.