Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

April 27, 2024, 04:13:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Donald Baker

2024 Apr 26 11:53:47
Boy this site sure is dead.  Did the Rapture happen already? ;D

Phidippides

2024 Mar 31 01:32:32
Happy Easter! 🐰🐣✝️⛪

Phidippides

2024 Mar 29 16:59:45
Today is Good Friday. ✝️

Phidippides

2023 Dec 24 19:54:03
Merry Christmas, everyone. 🎄❄️🎅

Donald Baker

2022 Jul 16 15:33:06
Atheists...if any are lurking, join and defend your position on why God doesn't exist.  Agnostics you too...isn't it time to get off the fence and take a side? ;D

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 3
  • Latest: skiguy
Stats
  • Total Posts: 385
  • Total Topics: 89
  • Online today: 17
  • Online ever: 52
  • (February 04, 2024, 12:04:33 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 9
Total: 9

Theme Select

9 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: The Epiphany  (Read 3816 times)

Offline Phidippides

• Administrator
  • Like/Dislike: +12/-0
The Epiphany
« on: January 09, 2019, 03:42:10 PM »
We celebrated the Epiphany a few days ago, commemorating the arrival of the three wise men in Bethlehem and their giving of gifts to the Christ Child.  The gifts, of course, were gold, frankincense, and Myrrh.  I read a commentary on this that (if I remember correctly) said gold was essentially a gift given to a king; frankincense used in the worship of God; and myrrh used at times of death.  Basically, each of these gifts therefore had a much larger symbolic significance. 

I was unaware that myrrh was used in connection to death, and in my brief research of the matter I didn't find that it was widely used in connection to funerary practices in the ancient world, but that it was mentioned at various times in the Bible.  Most notably, it was one of the gifts that one of the disciples was bringing to the tomb of Christ right before the Resurrection.  Does anyone else know about myrrh for its funerary connotations?