Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

April 27, 2024, 01:19:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Donald Baker

2024 Apr 26 11:53:47
Boy this site sure is dead.  Did the Rapture happen already? ;D

Phidippides

2024 Mar 31 01:32:32
Happy Easter! 🐰🐣✝️⛪

Phidippides

2024 Mar 29 16:59:45
Today is Good Friday. ✝️

Phidippides

2023 Dec 24 19:54:03
Merry Christmas, everyone. 🎄❄️🎅

Donald Baker

2022 Jul 16 15:33:06
Atheists...if any are lurking, join and defend your position on why God doesn't exist.  Agnostics you too...isn't it time to get off the fence and take a side? ;D

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 3
  • Latest: skiguy
Stats
  • Total Posts: 385
  • Total Topics: 89
  • Online today: 17
  • Online ever: 52
  • (February 04, 2024, 12:04:33 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 10
Total: 10

Theme Select

10 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Old Testmant Jews: Monotheists or Monolotrists?  (Read 6756 times)

Offline Phidippides

• Administrator
  • Like/Dislike: +12/-0
Old Testmant Jews: Monotheists or Monolotrists?
« on: February 02, 2020, 05:36:09 PM »
Did the Jews of the Old Testament believe in only one God (monotheism), or did they worship only one God while also believing in other gods (monolotry)?  There are references in the OT (maybe the NT as well) which point to "other gods" (such as the First Commandment), which at the least hints at the possibility that the Jews believed in many gods, but were commanded by God to worship him alone.  Anyone else heard other scholarship on this topic?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 05:38:55 PM by Phidippides »

Offline Donald Baker

• Administrator
  • Like/Dislike: +4/-0
Re: Old Testmant Jews: Monotheists or Monolotrists?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 07:43:43 AM »
Good question.  They did keep going after Baal and Ashtoreth.  I want to think they were monotheism but their actions do muddy the waters.

Offline Phidippides

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 02:54:03 PM »
I started watching a lecture series on Judaism in the time of Christ, and the presenter cites passages from Old and New Testaments which indicate the existence of other gods within the Israelite worldview, such as references to the "Most High God" (implying ranking) or references to the God of the Israelites being alone in might/power among gods.  However, she also conceded that her view is not accepted by all.  I thought it was interesting because I hadn't really thought about the issue before, and it might shed light on the meaning of some passages.  I'll have to dig into the issue deeper. 

Offline Donald Baker

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 09:19:11 PM »
I think it is consistent to view the angelic hosts as "gods" with a little g.  So the title of Most High God could reflect that God is above them in rank and being.  Angels are immortal, extremely powerful, and vastly intelligent.  In comparison to us they are "gods."  God's state of perfection and limitlessness differentiates Him from them so the title of Most High fits.  I don't think it refers to the gods of the Gentiles because if it did, it would seem to validate the existence of those other gods. 

Offline Phidippides

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 04:01:40 AM »
Ok, so what you are saying sounds like another possible explanation, assuming that angels could be perceived as "god-like".  However, given the original meaning of "messenger", they would be understood to *not* be gods in the deity sense.  As for the validation of other gods by the Israelites, that is a good question, but it's something I would need to investigate more.  I have always thought that the story of Aaron and Moses and the staff turning into a snake in Exodus 7 was rather curious given that God allows the Egyptian priests' staffs to do the same, only to have them be devoured by the Israelite snake.

Offline Donald Baker

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 09:07:47 AM »
I suppose the fallen angels masqueraded as gods and lent their abilities to the Egyptian priests.  God allowed it to demonstrate His greater ability to both angels and men.