Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

April 19, 2024, 11:11:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Phidippides

2024 Mar 31 01:32:32
Happy Easter! 🐰🐣✝️⛪

Phidippides

2024 Mar 29 16:59:45
Today is Good Friday. ✝️

Phidippides

2023 Dec 24 19:54:03
Merry Christmas, everyone. 🎄❄️🎅

Donald Baker

2022 Jul 16 15:33:06
Atheists...if any are lurking, join and defend your position on why God doesn't exist.  Agnostics you too...isn't it time to get off the fence and take a side? ;D

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 3
  • Latest: skiguy
Stats
  • Total Posts: 385
  • Total Topics: 89
  • Online today: 10
  • Online ever: 52
  • (February 04, 2024, 12:04:33 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 2
Total: 2

Theme Select

2 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Should Urban Meyer's career be over?  (Read 3531 times)

Offline Phidippides

• Administrator
  • Like/Dislike: +12/-0
Should Urban Meyer's career be over?
« on: August 07, 2018, 07:22:09 PM »
Do you think that Urban Meyer should be forced out of his job as head coach at Ohio State?  Or do you think that he should be handed another sentence but allowed to keep his job?

As a follow up, if he is fired from his job, do you think another school would be in the right to immediately offer him a head coaching job?  After all, he is alleged to have violated OSU's policies, but no criminal laws to my knowledge.  While that other school might experience some blow back, the potential to scoop up one of the top two or three coaches in college football would very likely be worth it.

Offline Donald Baker

• Administrator
  • Like/Dislike: +4/-0
Re: Should Urban Meyer's career be over?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 08:30:13 PM »
I predict Meyer will be reinstated by the beginning of the season.

Offline Phidippides

• Administrator
  • Like/Dislike: +12/-0
Re: Should Urban Meyer's career be over?
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 10:08:06 PM »
Well turns out you were wrong....but not too far off the mark.  Three game suspension.

Ohio State suspends Urban Meyer for three games after investigation

I wonder - was this all overblown?  I obviously don't know all the details, but here is the relevant part:

Meyer was put on leave hours after Smith's ex-wife, Courtney, went public with claims that she had told Meyer's wife that Smith had shoved her against a wall and put his hands around her neck in 2015.

The couple divorced in 2016 and Zach Smith was fired July 23 of this year after an Ohio court granted Courtney Smith a domestic violence protective order.

So by the time Urban Meyer heard it, it would have been from a third person, and it happened the previous year, after the couple had divorced.  I don't want to make light of it, but it seems that there could be some ambiguity if you hear a story like this involving a married couple, and particularly if the couple is divorced when you hear it.

I'm not saying Urban Meyer shouldn't have followed the rule book on this one, but it does seem rather strict considering the circumstances.