Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

April 25, 2024, 09:39:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Phidippides

2024 Mar 31 01:32:32
Happy Easter! 🐰🐣✝️⛪

Phidippides

2024 Mar 29 16:59:45
Today is Good Friday. ✝️

Phidippides

2023 Dec 24 19:54:03
Merry Christmas, everyone. 🎄❄️🎅

Donald Baker

2022 Jul 16 15:33:06
Atheists...if any are lurking, join and defend your position on why God doesn't exist.  Agnostics you too...isn't it time to get off the fence and take a side? ;D

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 3
  • Latest: skiguy
Stats
  • Total Posts: 385
  • Total Topics: 89
  • Online today: 6
  • Online ever: 52
  • (February 04, 2024, 12:04:33 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 4
Total: 4

Theme Select

4 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Does God Necessarily Have To Be Omnipotent?  (Read 6626 times)

Offline Donald Baker

• Administrator
  • Like/Dislike: +4/-0
Does God Necessarily Have To Be Omnipotent?
« on: October 26, 2018, 10:50:51 PM »
First of all, we need to agree on a definition of "omnipotence."  Does it mean God can do anything without limits?  Or can it mean "sufficiently powerful/capable enough?"  I ask this because of the philosophical problems of evil and of course the obligatory atheist paradox queries such as "Can God create a rock that He cannot lift."  Finally, does God necessarily have to be omnipotent in order for you to worship Him and devote your life to Him?

Offline Phidippides

• Administrator
  • Like/Dislike: +12/-0
Re: Does God Necessarily Have To Be Omnipotent?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 03:54:28 PM »
Omnipotence = all powerful.  I think this necessarily means that "capable enough" implies weakness, or the idea that something stronger exists, which cannot be.  A question such as "Can God create a rock that He cannot lift" would be an illogical question because of the way it is framed.  It would be like saying, "Can this mechanic, who can fix anything, fix this car that can never be fixed?"

I recall back during my college years wondering about a related problem concerning God: what if God as we know Him is merely the Master of our world/universe, but He is actually subservient to another, greater god whom we do not know?  We might never know because we only know God.  And we could continue that to say that this "greater" god could himself be subservient to yet another god who is still greater?  And we could keep this going.

I think that many answers regarding the nature of God can be answered by considering the explanations discussed in Thomas Aquinas' "De Ente et Essentia" (On Being and Essence). 

Offline Donald Baker

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 10:06:31 PM »
I would love to read that.  I will download it I think.

Offline Phidippides

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 05:03:26 PM »
Well, I don't know if I would call it "fun reading"....like other Aquinas writings, it's quite dense.  The key is to forget about thinking of God in terms of something akin to a glorified Zeus-like figure.

I'll give you a hint: have you ever wondered why, when Moses speaks to the Burning Bush, God responds with His particular answer in Exodus 3:14? 

Offline Donald Baker

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 07:55:59 PM »
Okay I downloaded a full pdf copy of the Summa Theologiae translated by the Dominican Fathers.  Over 9400 pages lol.  But it is setup to go to whatever section I want to study so it's easy to navigate.

Offline Phidippides

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 11:06:17 PM »
That's some good reading as well, but I'm not sure whether "De Ente et Essentia" is included (I assumed it was separate, but could be wrong).  I had to read the latter in college for a class on the Philosophy of Being.

Offline skiguy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 08:06:13 PM »
We might never know because we only know God.  And we could continue that to say that this "greater" god could himself be subservient to yet another god who is still greater?  And we could keep this going.

How could He be the Alpha and the Omega if He was subservient to another god? 

Offline Donald Baker

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 09:02:09 PM »
We might never know because we only know God.  And we could continue that to say that this "greater" god could himself be subservient to yet another god who is still greater?  And we could keep this going.

How could He be the Alpha and the Omega if He was subservient to another god?

Yes that declaration pretty much signifies there is no other God but God.  But it doesn't really explain what "omnipotent" entails.

Offline Phidippides

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 03:31:57 AM »
You could argue that we live in a universe which had a start billions of years ago and has an end, but that we're simply in one universe in a timeline of many universes, each of which is many billions of years old.  At least, this is the way the issue could be framed.