Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

March 29, 2024, 10:59:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Phidippides

2023 Dec 24 19:54:03
Merry Christmas, everyone. 🎄❄️🎅

Donald Baker

2022 Jul 16 15:33:06
Atheists...if any are lurking, join and defend your position on why God doesn't exist.  Agnostics you too...isn't it time to get off the fence and take a side? ;D

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 3
  • Latest: skiguy
Stats
  • Total Posts: 385
  • Total Topics: 89
  • Online today: 16
  • Online ever: 52
  • (February 04, 2024, 12:04:33 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 10
Total: 10

Theme Select

10 Guests, 0 Users

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Christian Legacies Main Forum / Re: Early Church Heresies
« Last post by Phidippides on December 24, 2023, 07:53:35 PM »
Good one.

Another is "donatism", which held that Christ was not actually man.  Apparently there was a gospel that was rejected from the canon (I believe it was the Gospel of Peter) because of potentially donatist content.  For example, there was a line in it that described Christ as behaving like He was in no pain while on the cross.  If Christ were in no pain, though, it would mean that He was not a man.
Christian Legacies Main Forum / Re: Early Church Heresies
« Last post by Donald Baker on December 07, 2023, 08:00:24 PM »
How about Arianism:
Christian Legacies Main Forum / Re: Premillennialism
« Last post by Donald Baker on December 07, 2023, 07:53:35 PM »
Israel had to be re-established in order for the prophetic timeline to commence.  Israel becoming a nation again in 1948 fulfilled the Valley of Dry Bones in Ezekiel Chapter 37.  Then, during the 7 Year Tribulation, Israel is surrounded by its enemies which is called the time of Jacob's Trouble.

A great website for understanding prophetic timelines is http://www.thepropheticyears.com.  I pretty much agree with the website owner's views on this topic.
Christian Legacies Main Forum / Early Church Heresies
« Last post by Phidippides on December 04, 2023, 12:11:02 AM »
Can you name any heresies in the first few centuries of Christianity and what they believed (in a nutshell)?

A few are:

• Marcianism: believed that God in the New Testament was different from God in the Old Testament because their behavior was not reconcilable.
  • Gnosticism: believed in esoteric knowledge held by the few "true believers" and that the Bible's text was to be interpreted symbolically for hidden meaning
« Last post by Phidippides on December 04, 2023, 12:00:18 AM »
Wow, ok I think I was thinking it had to do with the existence of the State of Israel as well.  I saw a comment on Twitter from a person who said she heard someone talk about some Christians who thought the existence of Israel was a political necessity to precipitate the Coming of Christ, but that she had never heard of any Christians who believed such a theory.  I immediately thought of you because I thought you had made such a comment at some point years ago.  I thought this fit into "premillennialism", but I could be wrong.

It does make me wonder how the belief by Christians in the theological necessity of Israel's existence has influenced strong Western support for Israel.  In fact, I recall that George W. Bush was possibly in this theological camp? 

« Last post by Donald Baker on November 09, 2023, 05:44:05 PM »
Just saw this post a week after you made it.  Sorry.

I lean pre-millennial regarding the Rapture of the Church, however, I think it prudent to be prepared in case we have to go through the Tribulation.  But as to whether Jesus will physically return before the Millennial Kingdom, He has to because He shortens the days of the Tribulation otherwise no flesh would survive...meaning He returns and establishes His 1000 year reign.  Basically, He descends from Heaven and ends the Battle of Armageddon destroying all who oppose Him with the Brightness of His Coming.  The Antichrist and his False Prophet are cast into the Lake of Fire and Satan is bound for the duration of the Millennial Kingdom only to be released again tempting the nations to rebel against Jesus one last time. 

What is your take?
Christian Legacies Main Forum / Premillennialism
« Last post by Phidippides on November 02, 2023, 11:46:05 PM »
Donnie, do you believe in Premillennialism?  I thought you said you did a while back but I could be wrong.
Is it considered to be a "bad" thing if a church leaves the Convention?  Or is it considered to be "neutral"?  In other words, I'm wondering if the goal (either stated or implied) is that Christianity would be better off as a whole if all Christians followed the Convention's doctrines, of if they don't think this isn't an issue.

I think the Southern Baptist Convention leadership would frown on it, but they literally have no authority to keep a church within its ranks.  Their oversight is very limited anyway so it's more about keeping connected to the rural churches who need assistance, and of course I'm sure the churches have to pay something into the SBC central funds where it can be redistributed to the more needy churches and outreach programs such as overseas missions programs.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10